Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fruits of my Farmer's Markey labor



Just a quick little note about my amazingly fruitful (no pun intended) trip to the farmer's market. First on the list: CSA pick-up.... I got amazingly yummy looking tomatoes, three different kinds of summer squash (yuuuummm), radishes, and four big plump potatoes for baked potatoes on mom and dad's birthday lunch this Saturday. This makes the menu for their visit: steamed shrimp- big fat ones caked in Old Bay, grilled squash (see CSA pickup above!) and yummy yummy baked potatoes. I had initially decided to make a nectarine plum buckle for their birthday "cake" but come to find out nectarines are already out of season and my local farm won't be having any plums this season. So I decided to use the same Martha Stewart recipe but substitute peaches and blackberries. Hopefully it will work well but we will see. Needless to say, my trip to the farmer's market also yielded super juicy peaches and amazing blackberries. Finally, I treated myself to a pre-made bundle of flowers and an Emmy-made bunch of zinnias that I have spread throughout the apartment. OH and I almost forgot, on the way out Kyle picked out an amazing strawberry nectarine jam.

Overall, I have to say.... this basically made my day. The fact that Kyle came with me was just an added bonus!

No comments: